Monday, May 12, 2008

Consoling Mom

When I found out our computer had crashed and we likely lost all our pictures and my journal I called Brian and started crying. Lance said, "are you crying for real mom?" "Yes, Lance," and then I explained why I was so sad. Then Spencer ran up immediately and said, "Don't cry mom, don't cry . . . I turn it on for you, I show you how!" He ran over to the computer, pushed the monitor button and nothing happened (yes the monitor, not the computer), and said, "It's not working mom." Then he came up to me (I was off the phone at this point), reached his arms up for me to hold him and he grabbed my face in his hands, put his face up to mine and started smiling. It was hilarious. He kept bending his head from side to side with his huge smile, didn't say a word. It made me realize that these guys are the most important thing to me--Brian too!--family and friends. It reminds me of the scripture (not looking at them...) that says, "lay up your treasures in heaven where moth and rust do not corrupt. . . " I just realized that if I did indeed lose my journal and pictures the most important thing for me to do was to continue to make great memories with my family. Yes, it's nice to have the past--it hurts to lose parts of it, but the present and future are really what I should focus on. I was just so grateful at that moment for my sweet Spencer. I would much rather lose pictures and journal than my boys. I'll take a computer crash any day!

So, right after I put him down he ran away and a few minutes later he came back with tape over his eyes, "I'm a super hero mom!" He just kept smiling for me. It was touching that he didn't need to say anything; he just needed to be there, be himself. That was all I needed. (First week of May).



And this was Brian's suggestion. When I knew Dell would be calling to help me get the computer running again I was concerned I wouldn't be able to hear the representative--and I wanted to be able to use my hands without hurting my neck. Great idea Brian! I was able to hear everything perfectly, no background noise and best of all I was hands free! (By the way, this was just after the first computer crash. 5-4-08)


P.S.--Spencer was sick the Friday night before (5-2-08 -- vomiting), hence the shampooer in the background.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

I can't remember, did you guys end up recovering everything on your computer?

We just decided to invest $5/month to backup our computer on a website called mozey.com. We now have had 3 friends in the last 3 weeks who's computers have crashed. :(

Brian & Veronica said...

Jenni, Yes, we were able to recover everything! We were so blessed to have a great friend who knew how to recover the info., but I think Heavenly Father knew how devasted I was and just said, "alright, here you go. . . but no more complaining!" :) j/k. Anyway, we're thankful for sure!